2009 performance experiments: surrogate


surrogate is a performance piece that i developed based on the ideas of self-knowledge and loneliness. i had been working a lot with embroidered and sewn muslin, and had also been experimenting a lot with self-portraiture in various forms. i felt that the combination of the medium I was engaging with and the concepts that I had been working with was inevitable. the idea started as the sculptural concept, to make a life-size copy of my body out of muslin, and i wasn't sure where the project would lead. as i started to complete the surrogate, i realized that i felt comforted by it, i felt less alone. eventually this became a performance piece, about my living with the doll, sleeping with it in my bed, carrying it to school with me, taking it to a restaurant.

more photos of surrogate are here.